Saturday, July 23, 2011

Off to the Lake of the Ozarks!

A lake adventure to the backwoods of Missouri for my July trip is ideal location when the U.S. is under current record heat waves. Nothing like ramped humidity, bugs, and 83 degree lake water in the midst of these conditions to set you right again and relaxed. This is the typical response I receive when I talk about our annual family reunion, however, it is a little hidden gem of a vacation and one of the best summer hot spots I can think of. It sounds like it would be a terrible time to visit Missouri, but when you are living on a lake for a week wake-boarding, water skiing, jet skiing, belly boating and cruising the lake, the conditions are ideal. A refreshing beverage, music, family and friends, a pole in the water and a day filled with non-stop sweets and appetizers is more relaxing than most trips I have taken. On average trips, you spend most of your time stressing about itineraries, flights, hotels, food and making sure you take in every sight you can possibly squeeze into the trip, which after all is said and done and you return home, is more exhausting than if you had stayed at home in the first place. I am definitely not saying I don't enjoy the rush of the novelty sights, but that rather it isn't a relaxing vacation. 
This year, our family friends were unable to join us and this left us without a boat for the week and renting as our only option. Most of the time, my brother, sister, and I go out for most of the day playing around, but because we were not born before 1984, were all required to take a boating safety course. The website made it sound like an easy 3 hour class. This was not the case, and after 9 hours of "class" I am finally a registered safe boater and can drive the boat. 
After that nightmare was finally over, it was time to get mentally and physically prepared for leaving at 2 in the morning for a 13 hour roadtrip. I couldn't help but listen to the song "Redneck Yacht Club" by Craig Morgan because after all, that song was written about the beautiful Ozarks. I have officially declared it this years theme song, even though most of my family despises country. I am very much looking forward to taking my daily sunset photograph to replace last years winning sunset photograph on my wall. Time to make finally packing arrangements before taking off soon! I also only have 24 days left to SCOTLAND!

A view off of the dock out our door. Nothing like waking up to this view. 

No comments:

Post a Comment